Saturday, February 05, 2005

Fieldcamp @ Simpang (Part 2)

25 Jan 2005


Prow completed with 1st Overhead (Close-up View)

Prow completed with 1st Overhead (From Far)

After we had completed our prow at 0300 hours, Warrant Law and the guys from Jeep 1 (you could say excluding Lcp Sufian) helped us to setup the camouflage net. At 0350 hours, we were told to take a quick nap and then later at 0430 hours to refine our shell scrape. However, due to the tiredness, no one got up at 0430 hours! It was only at around 0550 hours that Warrant Law came and woke us up. I slept on the longest side of the prow (and I think that would be the only place to sleep on the prow anyway!)

Camouflage1

Camouflage2

When I woke up, the cold hit me like a flash! I told myself that the next time, if the exercise were to be held at Simpang, I must remember to bring a warmer with me. Anyhow, as I was approaching PC’s location, I realized that something was missing. It was my keypouch! I quickly ran back to my last location, grabbed it and then returned back to PC’s location. Once there, the extra sandbags we had over at our location, we brought it for PC as they did not have enough sandbags.

Once that was done, the Jeep 2 guys went back to our own location for the morning stand 2 which commenced at 0645 hours. At 0715 hours, orders were given to stand down. Breakfast was then consumed and followed by the daily routine orders. The guys at Jeep 2, including myself, finally managed to get a good rest. At 1100 hours, we improved on our camouflaging on both the prow and the jeep. Later, we had lunch and after that, another rest. Major Loh paid us a visit and told us his experience about the 106.

Works in Progress

Taking a break after filling sandbags

I find Major Loh to be quite long winded. I guess maybe he did not have much to say to us but I guess he wanted to prolong our meeting and that was why he took 15 minutes to talk to us. Afternoon left and evening came. While I was doing gun manning, Ramlee used the gas burner to make a kettle of hot coffee. It was quite refreshing (given the conditions of the night) and I consumed it while manning the gun. Ah yes, before I forget, Jeeps 1 & 2 practiced the reinforcement thingy. What will happen is that when either section is under fire, the section commander of either section will comms each other the group size, location and time. When that is done, only the section commander, driver and loader will come to the aid of the other section. The layer, however, will have to maintain his position on the jeep.

The other part of the reinforcement thingy was moving the gun to another alternate position. All in all, there were 4 alternate positions that we did. After my gun manning shift was over, I slept, awaiting what would happen the next day……

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home